Slim Teas refer to a range of herbal brews with various, proven weight loss properties.
- With so much fat, sugar and salt in the food we buy at the supermarket, it can be very difficult to shift extra kilos.
- Diets can be frustrating and depressing. You end up putting all the weight you lose right back on again when you go off the diet. You need something that is easy to incorporate into your life- something quick and easy to fit in with your lifestyle.
- Whether you want to burn fat, increase metabolism, reduce bloating or water retention, these are the best slimming teas in Australia to help you reach your ideal weight.
Easy to brew. Easy to drink. Check them out…
Ginger tea, apart from tasting absolutely divine, is one of the titans when it comes to weight loss. Studies have found that eating ginger or drinking it in tea form can reduce weight, and hip to waist ratio.
The gingerols in ginger help the stomach to digest food faster and then move the waste products more rapidly through the intestines. Gingerols may offer additional help by keeping blood sugar levels stable, which also aids in weight loss.
- Furthermore, ginger tea has the ability to make you feel fuller for longer, and has appetite suppressing properties.
Oxidative damage caused by dangerous free radicals is a well-known cause of obesity. The potent antioxidants in ginger roam the body, searching for these free radicals, destroying them and preventing any further oxidative damage.
Finally, ginger contains anti-inflammatories which greatly reduce indigestion, heartburn, acid reflux, and bloating.
Inflammation is yet another cause of weight gain. It can also prevent weight loss. Some people put so much effort into shedding excess weight, nearly starving themselves, or exercising till they are ready to drop, but they never see results. This is why a lot of people give up exercising and dieting.
Inflammation could be the culprit.
However, by sipping on ginger tea daily, you can help fight the inflammation that may be the cause of your weight problem, and continue on your weight loss journey with more success.
Ginger is a powerhouse when it comes to weight loss. It has appetite suppressing abilities, and makes you feel fuller for longer. It has antioxidants that stop free radicals from causing oxidative damage, and anti-inflammatories that reduce inflammation. Both oxidative damage and inflammation can cause weight gain.
Fenugreek seed tea
Fenugreek seeds are a rich source of protein, and contain many important vitamins and minerals. They have been used in traditional medicine in the Middle East and Egypt for centuries; some were even found in King Tutankhamun’s tomb!
Fenugreek seed tea helps with slimming down in four different ways.
- It reduces fat accumulation by preventing the body from absorbing the lipids in the food you eat.
- It promotes satiety, which means you feel fuller after eating less. The galactomannan, a carbohydrate, in fennel seeds is responsible for the feelings of fullness.
- It reduces appetite so you won’t feel like those mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks.
- It is also responsible for increasing metabolism, which means fat burning.
These results are possible due to the ongoing consumption of fenugreek tea. As with exercise, you have to keep drinking the tea to maintain the results.
- After 2 to 6 weeks of regular consumption you could find yourself needing to buy some smaller sized clothing.
Fenugreek seed tea is best drunk first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and again shortly after meals.
Interestingly, fenugreek seed tea has a flavour rather like that of maple syrup. It is slightly sweet with a hint of nuttiness.
Fenugreek seed tea is incredibly slimming. It does this in four main ways – reducing fat absorption, making you feel fuller for longer, reducing appetite, and by increasing metabolism, and therefore fat burning. It has a taste reminiscent of maple syrup.
Ginseng has been drunk as a tea since the days of imperial China, and weight loss is just one of the remarkable health benefits this herb provides.
- Ginseng is a natural appetite suppressant, so the next time you feel like a sugary / salty snack, make yourself a cup of ginseng instead. Those annoying pangs will vanish within minutes and you will have given yourself a cupful of nutrients as well as important hydration. You may have even saved yourself some money.
Naturally, this process uses energy, which requires fat to be burnt. There is no down side!
Pancreatic lipase refers to the action of the pancreas breaking down dietary fat for absorption. The saponins in ginseng help inhibit this process. Fat can’t be absorbed by the intestine if this process doesn’t happen, and so this is another way ginseng helps to keep us slim.
A final benefit is that drinking ginseng tea reduces blood sugar levels. This makes is an ideal drink for people who have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic.
The weight loss abilities of ginseng are largely attributed to the saponin, Ginsenoside Rb2. It has the ability to convert dangerous white fat into usable brown fat. Ginseng has the ability to inhibit pancreatic lipase, which means less fat is broken down and absorbed into our bodies. It also reduces blood sugar.
The main weight loss ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, which gives the root its rich, vibrant colour.
- Curcumin is a powerful anti-inflammatory which is why it is recommended to relieve arthritis and rheumatism pain.Well, this anti-inflammatory property of curcumin is also responsible for reducing the inflammation that causes obesity.
One characteristic of obesity is chronic metabolic inflammation. It was once thought that the sole purpose of white fat was to store energy. However, it is now known that white fat is responsible for producing hormones and other substances that cause long term inflammation and lead to insulin resistance. Curcumin works on the white fat in our bodies to help overcome this inflammation.
At the same time, curcumin works against the body developing insulin resistance, which is the body’s inability to respond to insulin. This means it can’t effectively take up glucose (sugar) from your blood and can lead to diabetes.
Research has shown that curcumin can halt the growth of fat cells and stop weight regain after the cessation of dieting and exercising. This is on top of the fact that weight loss was recorded during the period of dieting and exercising. Yet, somehow, the effects of the curcumin continued. Scientists working on the research attributed this to curcumin’s ability to inhibit certain stress hormones, along with inflammation.
Curcumin is a powerful anti-inflammatory found in turmeric. It works on white fat to reduce inflammation, along with preventing insulin resistance, and the prevention of weight regain and the growth of fat cells after the cessation of a period of dieting and exercising where weight loss was recorded.
World-famous green tea is one of the best-known weight loss teas around.
This is mainly due to two bio-compounds – caffeine and a powerful type of catechin called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG).
Caffeine is well-known as a stimulant, and as well as aiding fat burning and increasing stamina and endurance, it can interact with ECGC to burn even more fat than you would after drinking a coffee, which has the caffeine, but not the ECGC.The reason is that one of the main jobs of ECGC is to boost metabolism.
Another way EGCG can help with weight loss is by inhibiting an enzyme that breaks down the hormone norepinephrine. Higher levels of norepinephrine are associated with greater amounts of fat being broken down. The fat that is broken down enters the bloodstream and is then used as energy by the cells in the body.
- The miraculous thing about green tea is that the ECGC in it can burn calories even when you’re not doing anything. Researchers have estimated that about 4 to 5 % more calories get burnt up for energy than otherwise would, and there are studies where this amount is as high as 8%.
Finally, it is suspected that green tea is an appetite suppressant. The studies seem to result in conflicting information. However, if it’s true then it could help curb snacking between meals, and if it isn’t true, well…drinking a cup of green tea is a much healthier choice than a coffee or sugary drink.
Green tea is famous for its weight loss properties. The two main active ingredients are caffeine and ECGC. Together they burn more fat than just caffeine alone. EGCG inhibits an enzyme that blocks norepinephrine, a hormone that breaks down fats. There is also some evidence that green tea is an appetite suppressant.
Oolong tea is a true tea in that, like green tea, it is made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant.
- Drinking 2 to 3 cups of oolong tea per day can result in noticeable weight loss and lower body fat percentage starting after about 6 weeks. Like diet and exercise, drinking tea for weight loss is something that needs to become a regular part of your lifestyle.
The polyphenols in oolong help with weight loss by promoting the growth of good bacteria in the gut. An overgrowth of bad bacteria has a proven link to obesity. When you drink a cup of oolong tea, you are helping the gut to maintain the balance between good and bad bacteria.
As with green tea, the caffeine in oolong is responsible for increasing energy usage and the oxidation of fat. After a cup of oolong tea, you can expect your energy expenditure (and associated weight loss) to go up 3 to 7%.
Oolong tea is another tea that can help you lose weight – even while sleeping. Japanese researchers found that oolong tea continues to work on the breaking down of fats even after retiring for the day. This phenomenon happens independent of the caffeine in oolong, and is attributed to the ECGC content.
And the cherry on top? Oolong has zero calories.
Oolong tea has powerful polyphenols that encourage the growth of good bacteria in our gut. It increases metabolism and the burning of fat, and the ECGC content of oolong continues to work, burning fat, while you sleep. It has 0 calories.
Dandelion tea has been used for centuries for medicinal purposes…and yes, dandelion tea is made from the good old common garden weed with the bright yellow flower.
- To start with, the potassium found in dandelions acts as a natural diuretic, which means it makes you urinate more often than usual. This has the positive benefit of helping reduce water retention and bloating, as well as flushing out more toxins and waste products from the body. (This has the result of clearer skin).
In relation to this, dandelion tea takes care of the health of your liver. If the liver gets congested and can’t process the fats and sugars that we bring into our body then naturally we start to put on weight. Dandelion tea has the important function of detoxifying the liver and keeping it top condition.
Dandelion tea is also effective at dealing with digestive complaints. Digestive problems lead to inflammation, which is a known cause of obesity. By taking care of the digestive system, it is helping to avoid inflammation.
You might be interested to know dandelion tea can help with constipation, and it makes a nice caffeine-free substitute for your morning, or afternoon, coffee.
Dandelion tea is a natural diuretic and is great for relieving water weight, bloating and constipation. It detoxifies the liver and keeps it working to maximum capacity, and helps with digestive problems, thereby helping to avoid inflammation which can be responsible for obesity.
These 7 teas are among the best weight loss teas you can buy. Used in conjunction with a healthy diet, exercise and a determined attitude, they can all contribute to your weight loss journey.
Each has its own distinct flavour and aroma, so the question is….which one will you try first?